If you’re a student, there’s a good chance you’ve had to take an online proctored exam at some point. And if you have, there’s also a good chance you’ve had to use Respondus Lockdown Browser (RLB), or else going to use RLB.
Respondus Lockdown Browser for Mac and Windows is a software application and a way of preventing students from accessing other websites or having unfair advantage during the exam. But is it really foolproof? Let’s find out.
Table of Contents
What is Respondus Lockdown Browser?
Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Blackboard. It prevents students from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during an online exam. When used in conjunction with the Respondus Monitor webcam proctoring software, it provides a secure and reliable way to take online exams.
How Does It Work?
Once installed on a student’s computer, the Respondus LockDown Browser restricts access to only the sites the instructor has whitelisted. The site whitelist can be created using Blackboard’s built-in tools or within Respondus itself. Once an exam has been started, students are able to exit the browser only when the exam is submitted for grading.
LockDown Browser also has some built-in features to deter cheating. For example, it can prevent students from copying and pasting text from outside sources into the exam. It can also use your computer’s webcam and microphone to record video and audio of the student during the exam in order to deter and detect cheating. And if all else fails, Lockdown Browser can take a snapshot of the student’s desktop every few minutes so proctors can see what they were up to in case of suspected cheating.
If the student tries to exit the exam or close the browser window, a message will pop up asking if they’re sure they want to do that. Even if the student force-quits, the browser will save their progress on the exam so they can pick up right where they left off when they relaunch LockDown Browser.
- How to Download Warzone 2 on PS5, Xbox, and PC
- Download Time Calculator – Check Estimate Download Time
How to Download Respondus LockDown Browser for Mac
In this blog post, we will show you how to download and install Respondus Lockdown Browser for Mac. Respondus Lockdown Browser is a secure browser that is used for taking online exams in Canvas.
The browser locks down the testing environment within Canvas, preventing students from opening other tabs or applications, accessing other websites, or using any other type of device during an exam.
In order to take an online exam, you will need to download and install the Respondus Lockdown Browser. Here’s how to download LockDown Browser for Mac.
Instructions for Mac Users:
1. Go to the University of Victoria website to download Respondus Lockdown Browser directly.
2. Now, Click on the Install Now button.
3. Once the application has been downloaded, click on “Open.”
4. You will be prompted to enter your Apple ID password in order to install the application. Enter your password and click “OK.”
5. Respondus Lockdown Browser will now be installed on your computer. You can access it by going to your Applications folder.
How to Download Respondus LockDown Browser for Windows 10/11
If you have Windows 10 or the latest Windows 11, then you can follow this insurrection to download the Respondus Lockdown Browser.
Instructions for Windows Users:
1. Go to the University of Victoria website to download Respondus Lockdown Browser directly
2. Now, Click on the Install Now button.
3. Once the file has been downloaded, double-click on it to begin the installation process.
4. Click “Yes” when prompted by the User Account Control window.
5. Click “Next” on the Respondus Lockdown Browser Setup Wizard window.
6. Make sure that the “I accept the terms in the License Agreement” box is checked and click “Next.”
7. Click “Install.” This will begin installing the Respondus Lockdown Browser on your computer.
8. Once Respondus Lockdown Browser is installed, click “Finish.”
You can now access Respondus Lockdown Browser by going to your Start Menu and selecting it from the list of programs installed on your computer. That’s it! You have now successfully installed Respondus Lockdown Browser on your computer.
It’s not an ordinary browser like Google Chrome, Edge for browsing the stuff. It is a specially designed browser for a specific task to prevent users from accessing other websites and application. It can lock you out of your system and will change all your settings and features, the only way to get rid of it by restoring your system to a previous state.