When submitting a paper, book, or article for publication, it’s common for the publisher to require that all fonts be included in the file. Whether it’s Amazon KDP, iBooks, Barnes & Noble Press, Kobo, or any other major publisher, the manuscript must have embedded fonts in PDF, or Doc.
Today, we’ll address the most severe challenges of font embedding or embedded fonts in PDF and MS Word document or manuscript.
What is Embedded font?
“Embedding fonts” ensures that all font information used to create your document in PDF or MS Word looks exactly the same on other machines as it did on the original. If a font is not embedded after moving the document to another computer. In that case, the document will utilize a different font, especially if you chose a commercial or licensed font in originals, causing your document to look different than it did before. As a result, it’s critical to embed the font so that it doesn’t alter once the authority is transferred.
- Embedding fonts in your pdf or MS Word document ensures that anyone who views it sees the document just as you intended.
- Embedded font aids in maintaining the same look across your text.
- Font not embedded in pdf or word document. It will be replaced with a font that was not included in the original document or manuscript.
Embedding font for Amazon KDP (paperback)
Let’s take Amazon KDP as an example since Amazon dominates 80% of the eBook market. If your font is not embedded correctly, it will give you an error “Fonts are not properly embedded in your file. We’ve embedded them for you….”
It usually happens with paperback and hardcover books, and you won’t be able to publish your book on Amazon KDP unless you fix the embedded font.
How to check for embedded font in PDF?
It is important to know before submitting if your PDF file has embedded font or not. Here’s how to check for the embedded fonts in PDF.
- Open the file using Adobe Reader or Acrobat Pro.
- Go to file> Properties
- Select Fonts and verify that all fonts show (Embedded Subset)
How to embed fonts in PDF?
The easiest way to the embedded font in PDF is to convert it into PDF/A. This is the simplest and most reliable option instead of going through a long and complicated process.
- Open PDF/A converter website
- Upload the PDF file
- Select PDFA Conformance Level – PDF/A-1A
- Covert and download the PDF/A file
- Now upload the PDF/A file to Amazon KDP or any other publication site
Make sure the images or text doesn’t have a shadow in the background; otherwise, the result will look shabby after converting into PDF/A.
How to embed fonts in MS Word?
- Click the File tab on the left corner.
- Now click on Option at the bottom left corner of the Window.
- In the Word option, select Save tab in the left column.
- Under the Preserve fidelity select when sharing this document, select the Embedded fonts in the file checkbox.
- Click Ok
I hope this solves your problem with embedded fonts in PDF and MS Word. Do tell us about your publishing experience in the comments section. Good luck with your writing!