You’re not alone if you’ve misplaced your AirPod case and don’t know where to look. Many people lose their AirPods cases but keep their AirPods because they’re with them most of the time. People roam around while listening to music or talking on the phone, leaving their AirPods case behind.
Fortunately, Apple provides a way to find AirPod case if you have enabled the “Find My app” before losing them. Don’t worry if this is the case; as long as the green dot next to your paired AirPods appears in the Find My iPhone app, your AirPods case is nearby, and you can easily find them.
Table of Contents
How to find AirPod case only
Finding an AirPod case without the AirPods inside it is a little tricky. It’s get easy to locate the AirPods case if both earphones are still inside the case, but you may still use the “Find My” app to locate the case. To locate the AirPods case, follow the steps below.
Steps to Find AirPods Case:
1. On your iPhone, open the Find My iPhone app.
2. Check the list of devices you’ve connected to your iPhone and touch the AirPods
3. If a green dot appears, it indicates that the case is close by.
4. If you notice a grey dot instead, that means your AirPods case is not around or they’re offline.
5. You will be able to follow their last known whereabouts. Tap the Car button to return to the previous location.
6. Since you only have the case to look for and no AirPods inside, you’ll have to explore the area thoroughly and hope to discover them.
Sadly, the Find My App can only track the AirPods themselves, which is not the case. Because the AirPods use Apple’s unique H1 chips, but the charging case does not, Apple’s Find My app cannot track them due to their lack of advanced technology.
How to Find AirPod Case With AirPods Inside
If you’ve misplaced your AirPods case with AirPods inside, you can breathe a sigh of relief because your odds of locating them have just increased. If at least one of your AirPods is in your misplaced charging case, Apple’s Find My App will be able to locate them.
Steps to Find AirPods Case with AirPods Inside:
1. Launch the Find My iPhone app on your iPhone.
2. Select the option with your AirPods from the list of devices you’ve connected with your iPhone.
3. If you notice a green dot next to a name, that means there’s a play button nearby.
4. To find your AirPods, press the play button, and it will start playing music. Turn up the volume to the highest setting and follow the sound.
How to find my AirPods if they are offline and dead:
When your AirPods are online, and you see a green light next to their name in the “Find my iPhone” app, the above methods work. But what if you see a grey light that indicates they are offline? Don’t be worried! If your AirPods aren’t connected, Apple has provided a new way to track them. The new feature directs you to the last time your AirPods were connected to the Internet.
- To begin, open Find My and select AirPods from the drop-down box on the left side of the screen.
- A grey dot indicates that they are not connected to the Internet. Regardless, you’ll be able to see where you’ve been in the past. Tap the Car symbol to return to their previous location. When AirPods are turned off, you won’t be able to listen to music.
- Finally, once you’ve located your AirPods location, you’ll have to go old school and search for them, i.e., play music on them using the prior approach.
Turn on Lost Mode for your AirPods
If you still can’t find your AirPods, turn on Lost Mode for your AirPods (3rd generation), AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max, and send a message to Apple using your phone number or email address. If your AirPods are found, the message will appear on their iPhone.
Steps to Turn on Lost Mode:
1. On your iPhone, open the Find My app.
2. Go to the Devices tab, and choose your AirPods.
3. Scroll down to Mark as Lost, and select Activate.
4. If you wish your contact information to appear for your misplaced AirPods, follow the onscreen instructions.
5. Turn on Lost Mode for your AirPods using the Find My app.
6. Select Activate.
Replace a missing AirPod or charging case
If you misplace an AirPod or charging case, Apple now offers a fee-replacement option. So it’s better to get the serial number and contact Apple Support for a replacement if you still can’t find your AirPod or charging case or if something is damaged.
1. Find the serial number of your AirPods
- Go to Settings > Bluetooth.
- Find your AirPods in the list.
- Tap the More Info button next to your AirPods to see the serial number.
2. Find it on the original packaging
3. Now go to Apple Get support website sign in with Apple ID
4. Follow the instruction to replace the AirPods case
Set an alert if you leave your AirPods behind
I’m assuming you’ve found or received a replacement for your lost AirPods case by now. This horrifying incident must never happen to you again. If you have an iPhone 12 or later, you can set up separation alerts to ensure that your AirPods (3rd generation), AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max are not left in an unexpected location:
1 Open the Find My app.
2 Go to the Devices tab and choose your AirPods.
3 Under Notifications, tap Notify When Left Behind.
4 Turn on Notify When Left Behind
Yes, Apple offers AirPods cases separately, in case you were wondering. It often costs roughly $70. I hope you have got what you are looking for and able to retrieve your AirPod or AirPods case. Similarly you can also find “i” icon on Apple Watch to pair your Apple Watch manually.